The Gazette of India has released a notification regarding a total of 6552 vacancies all across India for the post of Upper Division Clerk and stenographer in Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC).
ESIC will soon be releasing a detailed notification regarding the application and examination datesfor the same.The application is to be filled online. In this article, we will be discussing the ESIC preparation tips for both UDC as well as stenographer exams.
ESIC UDC Syllabus and Exam Pattern
The ESIC UDC 2021 exam will be held in three phases- ESIC UDC Prelims Exam, ESIC UDC Mains Exam, and ESIC UDC Computer Skills Test. The ESIC UDC Prelims exam consists of 100 multiple choice questions carrying 200 marks. The detailed syllabus of each phases are given below:
ESIC UDC Prelims Exam Pattern 2021
|Section||No. Of Questions||Max. Marks||Total Duration|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||1 hour|
ESIC Stenographer Prelims Exam Pattern 2021
|Section||No. of Ques.||Max. Marks||Time (in Min.)|
|English Language & Comprehension||100||100||70|
ESIC Preparation 2021
We will discuss the section-wise ESIC Preparation tips for both UDC and Stenographer exams.
- ESIC UDC Preparation- General Intelligence and Reasoning
- Topics:[Orders & Rankings, Directions, Puzzles, Seating Arrangement, Statements & Conclusion, Dates & Calendars, Cause & Effects, Assertion & Reason, Coding-Decoding, Word Formation, Syllogism, Alphabet Test, Blood Relation, Inequalities, etc.]
- The ESIC preparation tips for the candidates includehaving a grasp on the various topics of this section and practising a lot. To start with the practice and to be clear with the basic concepts of the section, the candidates can refer to books like ‘A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal and Shortcuts in Reasoning (Verbal, non-verbal and analytical) by Disha Publications.
- For topics related to arrangement, puzzles, and syllogisms, the candidates need to understand what the question is saying in a simpler language with the help of diagrams. Once the message behind the question is clear, it becomes very easy to solve these questions.
- For questions related to alphanumeric series, the combination of the given alphabets, numbers, or patterns is to be identified and noted down. Noting down the combination helps in analysing it easily and hence in finding out the answer.
- ESIC UDC Preparation- General Awareness
- Topics:[Current Affairs,Science & Technology, National & International Issues, Business & Economics,Major Government Schemes, Important Institutions and changes,Important Dates, Economic Statistics, Film & Television, Culture, Events & Anniversaries, Books & Authors, Environment & Ecosystem, Sports, Currency, etc.]
- For current affairs, the candidates need to read newspapers like The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Economist daily and also refer to various online websites that upload current affairs every month.
- Refer to the NCERT books of Class 6 to Class 10 of these subjects and for other common topics, the candidates can refer to General Knowledge books by Arihant Publications or Lucent Publications.
- ESIC UDC Preparation- Quantitative Aptitude
- Topics:[Profit & Loss,Number System, Simplification, Percentages, Simple & Compound Interest, Time & Work, Average, Ratio & Proportion, Functions, Linear Equations, Quadratic Equations, Case Study Analysis, Probability, Graphs, Speed & Distance, Time & Work, Partnership, Data Interpretation, Permutation & Combination, etc.]
- For data interpretation questions with bars and pie-charts, the candidates need to analyse the question and eliminate some of the options based on their analysis. A detailed calculation can be done for the left-out options which make the questions easier and less time-taking.
- For simplification and approximation questions, the basic ESIC preparation strategy is to regularly solve questions related to the application of the BODMAS rule.
- For questions related to numeric series, the candidates need to learn multiplication tables and squares and cubes of numbers at least up to 30. They need to identify the series in the question and solve it according to the series. There can be different kinds of series based on addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, squares, cubes, or a mixture of these in the questions, hence, the candidates need to be proficientin all the different types of questions that are asked.
- ESIC UDC Preparation- English Comprehension
- Topics:[Reading Comprehension,Cloze Test, Sentence/Paragraph Correction,Odd One Out, Fill in the Blanks Error Detection, Jumbled Sentences, Active & Passive Voice, Sentence Connectors, Vocabulary (Synonyms, Antonyms, One-word Substitution), etc.]
- While solving reading comprehension, the candidates need to emphasize understanding the basic structure and the main points of the passage. They need to go through the passage first, then through the questions, and then again through the passage, this helps the candidates in reviewing the passage regarding the questions and makes it easy for them to solve the questions.
- The ESIC preparation strategy for the questions related to the cloze test is that the candidates need to practice understanding the tone of the passage and linking the sentences with each other to get an idea of what words could be filled in the blanks to match the tone of the passage.
- For fill in the blanks and error detection, the candidates need to improve their grammar for which they can refer to books like P. Bakshi’sObjective General Englishor S.C. Gupta’s English Grammar & Composition.
ESIC Preparation 2021 for Stenographer Exam
For the stenographer exam, the preparation tips for the subjects are similar to the ESIC preparation tips for the UDC exam but the candidates of this exam also need to take care of the sectional time limit, and hence, they should not give more than 40 seconds to one question.
Best of Luck!